Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moments!

I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. ~Charles Schulz

Saturday, March 20, 2010

It should be half-full.

And not half-empty. That is my answer to that famous cliché.

When we’re about to come into conclusion that some areas of our life sucks or unfair; God mysteriously presents us with a reminder through random people or disguised ideas that it is not.

During my last trip back to Manila, I met 3 Filipinas who were being escorted by the security to the pre-departure area. I was seated on the far end of the hall (away from the boarding gate) when they came into picture. Curious that I was, I asked the girl closest to me what happened. With tears she’s trying to control, “Na A-to-A kami” (we’ve been A-to-A) she answered. For those who don’t know - this means “airport-to-airport”, they’ve been refused an entry to this country and were asked to return to their home country in the soonest available flight. One of them is from Jakarta who’s planning to visit her bf here; the other two were from Manila but arrived from different flights. They didn’t know each other. But in that  moment of torment, it seems that they’ve been the best of friends and to whom they were getting their strengths from, which is totally understandable.

They borrowed my phone to call someone because their phones were all battery-dead. The girl from Jakarta was continuously sharing her story to me. They’ve been checked, scanned and were guarded the entire night. In other words treated like criminals. I so understand the feeling (fyi, I almost got jailed in MY last New Year ‘09 too – but under different (and funnier) instance :P). We’ve been talking until they cannot mask a brave face anymore and they all broke down and cried helplessly.

…flashbacks to my first entry in this country as a tourist, thank God it didn’t happen to me. Or in any countries I’ve been so far. Never did it occur to me that it was actually possible in grounds I still don’t know. What I know is it’s a terrible feeling I don’t want to be in. The guard suddenly cut us and ordered them not to talk to anyone. They were all still guarded until seated inside the plane. The only consolation I consider is at least they’re not on handcuffs.

I/we am/are blessed in more ways than one (it does not only pertains to these type of situations). And have no right to complain. The lesson I hope not to forget (again).