spell visayas. food!
(Warning: Long entry)
It was a great great feeling given another chance to travel AND be permitted to legally leave from work, despite the amount of workload I that time have. Yeah, baby! V-I-S-A-Y-A-S, welcome me! This time, I was able to see four provinces, though not entire, but at least a taste of each.
My travel buddies: det, ate flor and ate ehvie.
Visayas in general is always a best FOOD forward region. Prior to coming here, I’ve done pretty much research as on what adventures or things can be done. 95% of the answers from the forums I got were like: “No-adventures-here.-EATING-is-adventure-in-itself.” So so, thank you very much for a couple of pounds I happen to gain while I’m here.
We arrived at Iloilo airport around 630am of 10/12; not quite knowing what really to expect. We haven’t had our actual itinerary and our fate mainly relies on Janjee who then warmly welcomed us in the airport.
Technically we toured around the city going to Janjee’s house, but only those that are on the way. Churches and old houses are the predominant features of this city/region. I was desperately trying to put my photography-learning in use this time (I joined Photography club here in the company, might post a separate entry for this). And I hope may konti naman akong natutunan.
Merriest was my tummy after devouring a luscious breakfast prepared and served at Janjee’s house. Thanks nanay, the best ang shrimp. I had a blast!! Right after it, we’re off to Capiz. Waste time no more. Time is precious. Time is gold. *wink*
Okay, Capiz is known for its mystery and ghost stories-extraordinaire. Ever since, I was able to understand and be interested in stories from our kasambahays in Palawan, Capiz or Antique has always been the ‘victim’ of this mind-boggling imagination. In those stories is where I learned the difference of tikbalang from kapre, tyanak from maligno blah blah blah. If they indeed exists.
Capiz or Roxas (capital) in particular is nearly 2-3 hours part-rough land travel from Iloilo City. We spent our travel time trying to scare ourselves with the famous story of Kapitan Gimo by Kuya Andres (who drove us there). And because we really wanted to prove that we’ve been there (ha!), we stopped at the arc welcoming the tourists with a big sign “Welcome to Roxas City – The seafood capital of the Philippines”. Yess my readers, bet you didn’t know that until now. Wehehe! =p We carefully managed to abscond the vehicles running back and forth from the highway just to get a good shot.
Name it, Roxas has it. They’ve been blessed with vast variety of sea foods one can just imagine, especially at that level of cheapness. We got there just in time for lunch. Of course, of course we treated ourselves in one of the best bistro there, the RML Manokan and Seafood Restaurant. Savoring the meal while overlooking a looong stretch of fine and silver sand, (Ayaw naming kumain noh, hindi halata) Whata pleasure, really! I’ve turned myself into a 12 yr old-girl who played in the sand, wrote anything in the sand and just basically enjoying every inch of that sand while I’m alone with my thoughts and my emotions.
Maybe ironic but I did not find anything unusual or ‘wall of weird material’ in relating to prove any petrifying stories involving Capiz. All I witnessed is the sense of humor these people have to conform in this peculiar belief/folklore. Sila pa nga yung mga nanakot sa amin at natatawa na lang sa mga ganitong stories.
There is nothing exceptional in this town in terms of tourist spotish aspect. It is, like any other town in the provinces around Philippines, people are living life as simple as they could. No traffic (just little maybe) and no excessive amount of pollution. People who deal with life’s everyday challenges in slower pace. It is a city who does not move fast and furious, to a point of having no time comprehending what they have at the present.
Leaving Roxas City, my dire perceptions of it was rubbed out. All I remember is the SEA FOOD haven that is best like no other. (excluding Palawan ..love your own!)
Also, we wouldn’t dare forget having a shot in the ‘Welcome to Capiz’ arc. Unfortunately, the sun had already set by the time we arrived there on our way back to Iloilo. Thus, making this picture scarier (or so I think). Uhmm funnier, maybe. =))
One of the consequences of having the passion for travel is the odd of gaining few pounds during the course. It is very hard to loath the native foods each place has to offer (both for experience or just the mere feel and taste of it). So it’s either I deprive myself of eating these foods or I’ll forget the zeal for travel altogether. In which case, both are considered not feasible. I can always handle to be jeered at by my friends with the famous line, “Tumataba ka ah!” than to not do the former. Wahaha. Whatever. =p
We had our dinner at Tatoy's upon arrival at Iloilo. One of the best there, they say. And after going around some few more spots in the City, we all decided to call it a night. Part 2 of Iloilo tour is continued after we came back from Guimaras the following day.
If there’s anything about Iloilo that struck me, it’s my amazement in the old houses that that they were able to preserve, not to mention the equally remarkable churches that they have. I love churches. Its one spot I don’t want to miss on tour. I find myself going back memory lane every time I go inside churches. Especially old ones. The surreal mood and the serenity I feel, aaah it’s just wonderful.
Also these:
Deliciously baked Blueberry Cheesecake at P37 only. (forgot the bakeshop)
Bibingka sold on the street. Ibang klase.
THE seafood experience.
Extremely strong coffee of Blue Jay café in Smalville Complex. Di ko kinaya.
Imay’s restaurant.
The famous Ted’s Old Timer La Paz Batchoy. Ito, the best talaga, promise!!
(Puro pagkain. Shucks takaw ko, dammit!)
I discovered that visayans refer to toyo for patis. In other words, ang tawag nila sa toyo doon ay patis. Tapos wala silang patis. Therefore when you asked the server for patis to make your batchoy tastier (just like what we usually do here), they will give you soy sauce. Kala ko nga nang-aasar yung waitress e. hahaha!
On one occasion, when we were deciding where to go for coffee one night, I remember Janjee was saying this one is ok but is more expensive than this one. I asked, how expensive? At the back of my mind I’m guessing he’d say a hundred bucks. But he said, around P60 pesos. Wow mahal na sa kanila yun. Don't get me wrong, pero diba d2 P120 isang kape pa lang. Saya talaga mamuhay sa probinsya. *sigh*
It was a great great feeling given another chance to travel AND be permitted to legally leave from work, despite the amount of workload I that time have. Yeah, baby! V-I-S-A-Y-A-S, welcome me! This time, I was able to see four provinces, though not entire, but at least a taste of each.
My travel buddies: det, ate flor and ate ehvie.
Visayas in general is always a best FOOD forward region. Prior to coming here, I’ve done pretty much research as on what adventures or things can be done. 95% of the answers from the forums I got were like: “No-adventures-here.-EATING-is-adventure-in-itself.” So so, thank you very much for a couple of pounds I happen to gain while I’m here. We arrived at Iloilo airport around 630am of 10/12; not quite knowing what really to expect. We haven’t had our actual itinerary and our fate mainly relies on Janjee who then warmly welcomed us in the airport.
Technically we toured around the city going to Janjee’s house, but only those that are on the way. Churches and old houses are the predominant features of this city/region. I was desperately trying to put my photography-learning in use this time (I joined Photography club here in the company, might post a separate entry for this). And I hope may konti naman akong natutunan.Merriest was my tummy after devouring a luscious breakfast prepared and served at Janjee’s house. Thanks nanay, the best ang shrimp. I had a blast!! Right after it, we’re off to Capiz. Waste time no more. Time is precious. Time is gold. *wink*
Okay, Capiz is known for its mystery and ghost stories-extraordinaire. Ever since, I was able to understand and be interested in stories from our kasambahays in Palawan, Capiz or Antique has always been the ‘victim’ of this mind-boggling imagination. In those stories is where I learned the difference of tikbalang from kapre, tyanak from maligno blah blah blah. If they indeed exists.
Capiz or Roxas (capital) in particular is nearly 2-3 hours part-rough land travel from Iloilo City. We spent our travel time trying to scare ourselves with the famous story of Kapitan Gimo by Kuya Andres (who drove us there). And because we really wanted to prove that we’ve been there (ha!), we stopped at the arc welcoming the tourists with a big sign “Welcome to Roxas City – The seafood capital of the Philippines”. Yess my readers, bet you didn’t know that until now. Wehehe! =p We carefully managed to abscond the vehicles running back and forth from the highway just to get a good shot.
Name it, Roxas has it. They’ve been blessed with vast variety of sea foods one can just imagine, especially at that level of cheapness. We got there just in time for lunch. Of course, of course we treated ourselves in one of the best bistro there, the RML Manokan and Seafood Restaurant. Savoring the meal while overlooking a looong stretch of fine and silver sand, (Ayaw naming kumain noh, hindi halata) Whata pleasure, really! I’ve turned myself into a 12 yr old-girl who played in the sand, wrote anything in the sand and just basically enjoying every inch of that sand while I’m alone with my thoughts and my emotions.Maybe ironic but I did not find anything unusual or ‘wall of weird material’ in relating to prove any petrifying stories involving Capiz. All I witnessed is the sense of humor these people have to conform in this peculiar belief/folklore. Sila pa nga yung mga nanakot sa amin at natatawa na lang sa mga ganitong stories.
There is nothing exceptional in this town in terms of tourist spotish aspect. It is, like any other town in the provinces around Philippines, people are living life as simple as they could. No traffic (just little maybe) and no excessive amount of pollution. People who deal with life’s everyday challenges in slower pace. It is a city who does not move fast and furious, to a point of having no time comprehending what they have at the present.
Leaving Roxas City, my dire perceptions of it was rubbed out. All I remember is the SEA FOOD haven that is best like no other. (excluding Palawan ..love your own!)
Also, we wouldn’t dare forget having a shot in the ‘Welcome to Capiz’ arc. Unfortunately, the sun had already set by the time we arrived there on our way back to Iloilo. Thus, making this picture scarier (or so I think). Uhmm funnier, maybe. =))One of the consequences of having the passion for travel is the odd of gaining few pounds during the course. It is very hard to loath the native foods each place has to offer (both for experience or just the mere feel and taste of it). So it’s either I deprive myself of eating these foods or I’ll forget the zeal for travel altogether. In which case, both are considered not feasible. I can always handle to be jeered at by my friends with the famous line, “Tumataba ka ah!” than to not do the former. Wahaha. Whatever. =p
We had our dinner at Tatoy's upon arrival at Iloilo. One of the best there, they say. And after going around some few more spots in the City, we all decided to call it a night. Part 2 of Iloilo tour is continued after we came back from Guimaras the following day.
If there’s anything about Iloilo that struck me, it’s my amazement in the old houses that that they were able to preserve, not to mention the equally remarkable churches that they have. I love churches. Its one spot I don’t want to miss on tour. I find myself going back memory lane every time I go inside churches. Especially old ones. The surreal mood and the serenity I feel, aaah it’s just wonderful.
Also these:
Deliciously baked Blueberry Cheesecake at P37 only. (forgot the bakeshop)
Bibingka sold on the street. Ibang klase.
THE seafood experience.
Extremely strong coffee of Blue Jay café in Smalville Complex. Di ko kinaya.
Imay’s restaurant.
The famous Ted’s Old Timer La Paz Batchoy. Ito, the best talaga, promise!!
(Puro pagkain. Shucks takaw ko, dammit!)
I discovered that visayans refer to toyo for patis. In other words, ang tawag nila sa toyo doon ay patis. Tapos wala silang patis. Therefore when you asked the server for patis to make your batchoy tastier (just like what we usually do here), they will give you soy sauce. Kala ko nga nang-aasar yung waitress e. hahaha!
On one occasion, when we were deciding where to go for coffee one night, I remember Janjee was saying this one is ok but is more expensive than this one. I asked, how expensive? At the back of my mind I’m guessing he’d say a hundred bucks. But he said, around P60 pesos. Wow mahal na sa kanila yun. Don't get me wrong, pero diba d2 P120 isang kape pa lang. Saya talaga mamuhay sa probinsya. *sigh*
Btw, while walking in the city streets of Iloilo, I saw this child. Just then, I immediately turned my camera to sepia mode and had this shot. And know what, I really like this one.
Earlier this year, when someone would say Guimaras, one thought will surely cross your minds - The Oil spill. But fyi, Guimaras is first known for their world class MANGOES, people. In fact, when we arrived there (with Kuya Leo, another of the Globe’s finest. naks!), inspection and necessary measures are taken care of to ensure that tourists are free from any sort of mangoes/fruits that could potentially affect theirs. Funny, kasi sa Palawan, bawal naman magdala ng mangga palabas kasi some of them ay merong as they call it ‘sakit’ na baka makahawa sa ibang mga mangga. Tapos dito bawal magdala. Ayos!
Guimaras is a classic province. Province, in its unsullied sense of the word. One could possibly circumvent the entire island in a day or two. There are lots of trees and greens. Major transportation are tricycle and multi cab. I’ve been dreaming and wanting so hard to taste a mango from Guimaras. So that I can officially pride of tasting these myself. So that I could really attest how good these were. So that I can finally say that I’ve tasted the best mangoes the Philippines could ever produce, if not in the world. So that, so that . . .
Apparently as much as I wanted to, I cannot do anything but be sad and be disappointed. Because I can’t. October is not a season but December. IF only I knew. Phew! And our effort of finding even just one is useless. Haaay! To compromise, I just bought a concentrated mango juice. Though honestly, it did not do as much. Given the fact that mango is my favorite fruit, ever!
Our time was eaten mainly on shopping and strolling around pasalubong centers. Ang sarrrap mag-ikot lalung-lalo na pag ganun kamura ang lahat! Oops, not to mention the time we wasted (but greatly enjoyed) doing sort of poses like this on this poor whatever tree: (wahaha)I definitely can’t think of better ways how people of Guimaras could enhance ways of taking care their mangoes. They even have the research program dedicated solely for this. Just have this major angst though (I was not able to confirm this), but they say whoever comes to Guimaras may eat mangoes there but cannot bring some outside because their mangoes are purely for export. That is crazy!! I’m like, “I am a Filipino and I can’t even taste the mangoes of my own country?” Buti pa yung ibang bansa. Buti pa si Pope Benedict XVI, delivered pa by archbishop Lagdameo. Buti pa si Bill Clinton na binigyan din ng (and I quote) “During Lopez's term, then US President Bill Clinton also had one special treat at the White House --- a basketful of Guimaras Mangoes.”. Buti pa sila!
Well, well, ganon talaga. Kaya kayo mga ‘tsong if you’re planning to go here, make sure you book your trip December. So as not to share the misfortune we have had. Kalungkot talaga – big time!! Grr..
The way from Iloilo to Bacolod is through a ferry for approximately 1 hour. Mi gosh ibang level 'mag-drive' ung kapitan nito, kumbaga sa kalsada e sobrang kaskasero. Maalon talaga yung biyahe, pero sa totoo lang, natakot ako para sa buhay ko. (hehe!) Akala ko tatagilid na yung ferry na sinakyan namin. Thank God, we arrived at Bacolod City safe and sound.
Masskara is obviously the main attraction of the city that welcomed us from the pier. Wooo, ang saya-saya!! Masskara festival naaaaa!! Pero nag-breakfast muna kami. Tomguts na. (eww, ang jologs ng term ko) wahaha!
Anyway, the first ever McDonalds I’ve been into that put together past happy meals into museum/exhibit (when I said ‘past’, I say all). Ito lang ang McDonalds-slash-tourist-spot sa buong Pilipinas na ‘legal’ ang mag-picturan. Hehehe. Even the happy meals that I do not even remember, its all there. Saya noh?!If Negros Occidental is a melting pot, Bacolod is its center, where all the major ‘transaction’ and business matter take place. We’re not lucky enough to catch the highlight of the festival (street dance competition), but technically Masskara has officially started by the time we got there, since they were officially celebrating it for 21 days.
You can’t possibly find any excuse that would hinder you to see Silay City, which is just half an hour away from Bacolod. An enormous plantation of sugar cane will constantly greet you the entire trip. Silay is recognized as one of the official tourist spots in the Philippines because of
the wide variety of old houses in store. From the looks of it, one strong wind could topple all these houses down. But I just said these are OLD, right? That means, they already surpassed thunderstorms, whirlwinds dating back from 1760. When it first became a town or pueblo. ‘stig! Silay City wowed me, indeed.Apart from Masskara, the other synonymous word to Bacolod is Inasal. And where to better experience it than in Chicken House (one of the oldest inasal restau there). The physical restaurant is not classy at all. But you won’t find empty tables during lunch or dinner maybe, because the moment one group leaves another will settle-in. Ito lang msasabi ko, iba ang inasal ng Bacolod. Throughout my 2 day-stay here in Bacolod, 90% of our eating is chicken inasal. And each restaurant is offering a different taste of Inasal but are all equally delicious nonetheless. May something e.
It was just funny that the planning we have at this trip mainly flows at the food we will munch. Instead of the usual list of places we want to see, the list this time is food. Grr! Pano ba naman sabihan ka ng: “o, di nyo pa natitikman yung ganto ha, ung ganyan..” Hala na.
One thing I will never forget about Bacolod is the number of coffee shops they have. We stayed at Café Bobs for a chat and basically to just ponder the tiring day we had. At P100, you can have a frappe and a very enticing cake. At P100, yes.
Mambukal Resort is the highlight of our Bacolod trip. It is a traveler’s mortal sin not to visit this when in Bacolod. 7 falls, the trek, hot spring, wall climbing, hanging bridge, incredibly humungous trees, pool, the weather, the scenery, the ‘all’. Thanks Kuya Aldrich, kuya Oddie, Mars, and Lei for accompanying us explore Mambukal.Ooh, one time, when we were going around Iloilo City, we saw a fruit stand. Since I’m desperately looking for Guimaras mangoes and my sister was looking for lansones, we stopped. Janjee rolled down his window and asked in Bisaya (major dialect here) the seller how much were the lansones (no mangoes of course). The guy said, P40 (also in Bisaya). Just then my sister, who is sited at the back of the driver, rolled down her window as well, and asked kung matamis yung mga lansones at kung magkano ulit(in Tagalog). The guy retracted his words and said P70. So, that incident has somewhat induced me that as long as you speak their dialect, they will not give you the “tourist price”. Hmm. (pwede, pwede).
I asked Janjee what is “How much?” in Bisaya. They said “Pila deri?” So when I’m shopping in the sweep of masskara tyangge the entire day and in one of the store at the lobby where we stayed, I’m asking in bisaya complete with pretension of being one and the projection in the delivery (may punto). Ang yabang ko pa. Here’s the problem though, they all answered me back in Bisaya. Waa, patay di ko na alam gagawin ko! Hahaha! I am no way an expert of Bisaya. And this will forever clutch a funny experience every time I remember these instances.
-o-
I really consider traveling an education. I am definitely learning a lot from people’s differences and culture’s diversity. I like it when I’m caught in the situation where I look like retarded trying to communicate to other people who talk and understand different lingo. Kaka-challenge.
Okay, so if you’re thinking going anywhere in the Philippines next summer. Try to include Visayas in your short list. This will surely offer exceptional experience to travelers – especially the adventure of tadahh --- EATING. Deprive yourself of chicken for at least 2 weeks before going to Bacolod though! =p
I believe, we all have the fervor, the rhythm and the soul to travel, to wander, to roam or just stroll (or whatever words you can still think of). Waiting and yearning to surface. After all, who would be contented in the routine day of waking up early, sitting 8 hours a day in front of the computer, later on going home tired (of boredom) and then resting to sleep. Realizing what a dreary day it has? Man that is pathetic. Treat yourself. And what could be a better way? TraveL.
My next trip is scheduled this coming Feb. I am really excited and I’ve been thinking about it so badly that I don’t want my mind to consider any other option. (read: my vl should be approved o_o).
The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.
I asked Janjee what is “How much?” in Bisaya. They said “Pila deri?” So when I’m shopping in the sweep of masskara tyangge the entire day and in one of the store at the lobby where we stayed, I’m asking in bisaya complete with pretension of being one and the projection in the delivery (may punto). Ang yabang ko pa. Here’s the problem though, they all answered me back in Bisaya. Waa, patay di ko na alam gagawin ko! Hahaha! I am no way an expert of Bisaya. And this will forever clutch a funny experience every time I remember these instances.
-o-
I really consider traveling an education. I am definitely learning a lot from people’s differences and culture’s diversity. I like it when I’m caught in the situation where I look like retarded trying to communicate to other people who talk and understand different lingo. Kaka-challenge.
Okay, so if you’re thinking going anywhere in the Philippines next summer. Try to include Visayas in your short list. This will surely offer exceptional experience to travelers – especially the adventure of tadahh --- EATING. Deprive yourself of chicken for at least 2 weeks before going to Bacolod though! =p
I believe, we all have the fervor, the rhythm and the soul to travel, to wander, to roam or just stroll (or whatever words you can still think of). Waiting and yearning to surface. After all, who would be contented in the routine day of waking up early, sitting 8 hours a day in front of the computer, later on going home tired (of boredom) and then resting to sleep. Realizing what a dreary day it has? Man that is pathetic. Treat yourself. And what could be a better way? TraveL.
My next trip is scheduled this coming Feb. I am really excited and I’ve been thinking about it so badly that I don’t want my mind to consider any other option. (read: my vl should be approved o_o).
The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.
- Saint Augustine of Hippo







1comments
At 12/05/2006,
Anonymous said…
ayos puro food..nice ung pgakyat mo ng tree..bagay sau..hehe..saya nmn alis lng ng alis..lech nmn kc bat pa feb ang alis mo..ndi b pwede march pra makasama ako..wahaha..i haytchu..:P
Post a Comment
<< Home